From my reading, AAA (American Association of Pediatrics) suggests waiting to start solids until 6 months, but many pediatricians say it is ok any where between 4-6 months. My pediatrician said I could start at 4 months if I wanted to. **Of course, ask your doctor for what is best for your child**
So four months came and I felt that I should try it. Here is how it went:
- I warmed about 3 teaspoons of breast milk in one of my pumping milk bags under warm tap water.
- I mixed one teaspoon of store bought rice cereal with the breast milk – it was runny!
- I got his bumbo chair set up and put him in it.
- The spoon slowly came towards his mouth…and….
- HE DIDN’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Of course he didn’t know what to do…what is a spoon anyways?!?! I went on trying it once every day mixing just one teaspoon of rice cereal with breast milk and pretty much got the same results every day: cereal goes in the mouth; cereal comes out of the mouth.
It’s all about the experience of it RIGHT???? Read about what happened next here.