One of P-buddy’s favorite lunch choices is bread. Or as he calls it (quite forcefully): “BREEEEEEAAAA”. There usually is no mistaking what he wants for lunch. Instead of slapping a plain ol’ piece of bread on his plate I try to spice it up a bit with some flavors, and will often sneak in a few veggies and fruits along with it. As long as it’s served on BREEEAAAA (bread) it is most likely gobbled up!
We have three breads that we rotate through. I figure even toddlers need things changed up a bit now and then. His favorites are:
- Ancient grains whole wheat bread
- Whole wheat sandwich thins
- Flat Out whole wheat bread
Most of P-buddy’s lunches are a combination of veggies, fruits, grains, and dairy. Usually the grain is served in the form of bread. So you can see why I like to add some flavor to the bread because day in a day out, yep, there is bread on that plate!
Flat bread toppings for toddlers
- Jelly and sunflower butter: found next to the peanut butter)
- Ham, mushroom and pizza sauce
- Melted cheese over cooked lima beans: sounds weird, but he will eat it!!
- Chicken enchilada meat with cheese: it’s like a baby taco!
- Shredded lunch meat and cheese: do you see a theme with the cheese?
- Jelly, strawberries, and small pieces of granola
- Banana slices with sunflower butter
- Cream cheese: (a breakfast favorite also!)
- Tomatoes and sharp cheddar cheese: of course melted!
- Cooked spinach, cheese, and mushrooms
- Sweet potatoes and brown sugar
This are just a few ideas, but I’m sure with some creativity we could come up with lots of yummy combinations!